Job Number: 23-612
Job Type: Full-Time Regular
Department: Cultural Resources
City: Sacaton, AZ
Location: 192 S. Skill Center Rd. Bldg. 200
Area of Interest: Cultural Resources
Salary/ Hourly Rate: Range $42,123.20 - $52,654.00 Salary
Tribal Driving Permit Required: Yes
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The Archeologist assists with archaeological field research projects conducted by the Cultural Resources Management Program for the Gila River Indian Community. This position participates in aspects of archaeological monitoring, survey and excavation projects.
- Assist in surveying and excavating prehistoric and historic archaeological sites.
- Assist in training new archaeological crew members.
- Assist archaeological crew members in filling and completing survey and excavation forms.
- Check specimen bags from survey and excavation collections to ensure information has been accurately filled out and assign specimen numbers.
- Assist in keeping track of field equipment, filling out vehicle maintenance forms, and reporting to supervisor when equipment and vehicle needs repair.
- Assist in preparing site maps, site forms and excavation forms.
- Participate in classroom, laboratory and field training to increase knowledge about archaeology and improve basic job skills.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
- Knowledge of HuHuKam and/or southwest archaeology.
- Knowledge of prehistoric and historic artifacts.
- Ability to complete relevant field forms, track specimen numbers/forms/artifact bags, undertake trench profiling and feature excavations and documentation.
- Ability to carry out basic surveying and excavation methods e.g., use compass, protractor, line level, tape measure and maps.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, Community Officials and the general public.
- Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position; agree to maintain a Drug-free workplace.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Anthropology, Archaeology, Southwestern Archaeology or a closely related field and one (1) year experience in archaeological field work which included surveys and excavations, or any combination of education, training, and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the functions of the position.
- Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in Anthropology, Archaeology, Southwestern Archaeology or a closely related field and two (2) years experience in archaeological field work which included surveys and excavations, or any combination of education, training, and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the functions of the position.
- High School diploma or GED and four (4) years experience in archaeological field work which included surveys excavations.
- Required to obtain a Tribal Operator’s permit. Valid state driver’s license with a current proof of driving record for the past 39 months will be required to qualify for a tribal driving permit. Proof of driving record must be submitted with application and must not be more than 60 days old from the date of submission of the application.
Non-Supervisory, Salaried Position
Reports to Director or designee
The Gila River Indian Community offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes; vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life, short and long term disability benefits.
Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25, U.S. Code, Section 472 and 473). The Gila River Indian Community is also committed to achieving the full and equal opportunity without discrimination because of Race, Religion, Color, Sex, National Origin, Politics, Marital Status, Physical Handicap, Age or Sexual Orientation. In other than the above, the Gila River Indian Community is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are claiming Preference in one or more of the following categories please attach a copy of the required documentation to the completed Employment Application.
- Preference for Community Members (with proof of enrollment)
- Preference for Native Americans (must meet membership requirement of a federally recognized Tribe.)
- Preference point for Spouse of Community Member (with proof of spouse enrollment)
- Preference point for Veteran (must meet statutory requirements)
Human Resources Will Not Make Copies of Application or Documents Being Submitted.
Visit our GRIC website and apply online: www.gilariver.org